Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Decisions, Decisions.....

            Those who know Anthony and I realize we are very big planners. That is an understatement, actually. So, being that we are now in the process of adopting a child, one would think that we could simply work down the checklist of things to do and just complete each step. Well, if only it were that simple.

First, we must decide how to go about this adoption. Will we utilize an agency or will we do it privately? The agency would be more expensive but would handle pretty much everything and aid us in locating a birth mother. Privately, we would have to do all of the “leg-work”. That sounds like it might be more fun I know (insert sarcasm here) but it will take a lot of effort. I am not saying we do not want to put forth the effort, but something as simple as posting our profile on an adoption site is not even simple for us. The largest one out there does not allow gay couples to “advertise” themselves and therefore a birth mother would not find us there. This would limit our potential contacts. (Aside from the fact that it is just not right, but that is another post)

I guess I am just becoming flustered and we cannot decide on which agency we might use to get started. If we have a home study completed by one agency and then decide to use another, will they accept the home study or will we have to go through this again? How do you choose something that could decide whether or not you may or may not ever be connected with that person who will choose us? I know I have to just have faith that it will happen as it is meant to, but sometimes I guess it is easier to say that than actually believe it.

Once we decide if we will use an agency or not, we will then have to begin the process of the home study. That sounds like a huge barrel of fun (yes, I’ll take another order of sarcasm) and could take a while. I don’t fear the study, as we easily could provide a loving, safe and comfortable home for any child. What I do fear is that I know it will be stressful to do all of the items required for the home study. If you get bored, Google what is included in an adoption home study. It will provide for some great reading.

Well, I will end the post on a very positive note. Anthony has been doing a great deal of work today with the process and he made me feel much better just by being in a good mood and having a good outlook on the entire thing. That my friends is why the relationship works. We can bring the other one back up whenever we start to doubt. I guess that is what it’s all about!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I just finished reading all the criteria that was involved for the home study!! WOW!! The bad news is that is seems as though there is so much to do, the good news is that it seems that they want the house child proofed prior to the child even being there. So, I will drop off my 1 year old and everything that he tries to climb needs to be bolted down and evertyhing that he tries to get into needs to be locked up. :-) You have a great support system of family and friends who are here to help! Just let us know what we can do!!

Help Us Reach Our Dream

Those who know us understand how hard we have worked to achieve our educational and financial goals. Unfortunately, the staggering costs of this adventure are becoming more apparent and overwhelming the further we explore our options. If your heart is so inclined, please give what you can to help us achieve our dream by clicking the DONATE button below. Thank you so much for your support.

PayPal Link